Register for Semperis' Hybrid Identity Protection (HIP) Conference - June 30 - July 1 Register for Semperis' Hybrid Identity Protection (HIP) Conference - June 30 - July 1

Command prompt at boot instead of WinXP

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Command prompt at boot instead of WinXP

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • jmatus

When I upgraded an old PIII/500 (a year or so ago) from Win98 to XP Pro, everything was fine. Soon after, I loaned it to someone. It has just been returned to me, and there’s a problem that I can’t figure out:

On a cold boot, it says: “BootWorks, Starting Win98” then displays a command prompt (C:>).

If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it then says: “BootOrg” before booting to WinXP.

I can find nothing in Set-up(BIOS) or Config.sys to explain it, and the autoexec.bat file is there but is just a comment line.

I’d rather not go through the whole process of reinstalling XP because of the time and effort that takes (including finding a modem to put into it that computer so I can reactivate).

I can live with it this way, but I’d greatly appreciate it if someone knows some simple way to fix it.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register for the Hybrid Identity Protection (HIP) Europe Conference!

Hybrid Identity Protection (HIP) Europe 2021 - Virtual Conference

Mobile workforces, cloud applications, and digitalization are changing every aspect of the modern enterprise. And with radical transformation come new business risks. Hybrid Identity Protection (HIP) is the premier educational forum for identity-centric practitioners. At the inaugural HIP Europe, join your local IAM experts and Microsoft MVPs to learn all the latest from the Hybrid Identity world.