Co Existing Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2003 and Cannot send email Externally

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2007 / 2010 / 2013 Co Existing Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2003 and Cannot send email Externally

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JLWin

Please Help,

Friday night I added an Exchange 2010 SP1 Server to my Exchange 2003 Domain. We can successfully send and receive Exchange mail internally between Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010 mailboxes. We can also receive External email but we cannot send external email. Also SMTP relay messages relay to Exchange 2010 mailboxes but not Exchange 2003 mailboxes.

Here are Domain Details:

Exchange 2003 and Exchnage 2010 Server has an internal network card connected to our network and an External card connected to the internet through a firewall.

We use message labs to route our email externally.

On our Exchange 2003 server we had a Routing Group called SMTP Connector 1. This was set to forward email to messagelabs as a smart host and we had a local bridgehead to a virtual server “Default SMTP virtual”. My Default SMTP Virtual Server. The local bridgehead has relay restrictions with allow internal IP’s allow to send”

After I installed Exchange 2010:

On New Exchange 2010 Server
    • Added “Anonymous users” to my “Default Server Connector”
    • Added a Receive Connector called Relay Restrictions. That is set to mail.domain.com, I have the local exchange server IP as IP address to receive, Added IP’s to receive from, Authentication is TLS and Externally Secured, and Permissions groups are Anonymous Users and Exchange Servers.
    • Added an Internet Send Connector with mail.domain.com, Address Space SMTP * and cost 1, Network Use MX Records, and my Exchange 2010 Server as source Server.

On Exchange 2003 Server:
    • Removed Smart Host on SMTP Connector 1 and chose to use DNS records
    Then I thought maybe I need to Change my new “Internet Send Connector” to use my smart host. So I added that and it still doesn’t work. I also am restarting the Transport server every time I make a change to an connector.

I have 2 Domains in DNS, one External and one Internal. I added to 2 CNAME’s in my external Domain one for mail.domain.com pointing to exchange 2010 server and one for legacy.domain.com pointing to exchange 2003. Also created 2 (A) records one to mail to Ip of Exchange 2010 and one to legacy to IP of Exchange 2003 server.

I see in the Queue all the messages with an error 451 4.1.0 DNS Query failed.

Thanks to anyone that can help me resolve this ASAP.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.