Cannot use RDP over VPN

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 10 Cannot use RDP over VPN

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Blood

Hi

I am having a problem creating a remote desktop connection to our servers over VPN. This has worked for many years. I posted the following on Microsoft’s server forum:

When Windows updates are available for our work servers, I use my Windows 10 Pro home computer (from home) to establish a VPN connection and then use Remote Desktop to log on to the servers, install the updates and restart the servers. After they have restarted I log on again to make sure everything is OK. I use Remote Desktop Connection Manager V2.2 (RDCM) to do this – this allows me to establish a connection to all 4 servers at the same time. I have been doing this for several years using various methods with XP, Vista, Win7 and Win8.1

I tried this a week last Thursday and although I could establish a VPN connection to my employers network, I was unable to establish a remote desktop connection. For example, I tried to connect to a server and the RDCM tries to connect but after between 5 and 10 seconds a message is displayed:

Disconnected from server-name (Unable to establish a connection)

I tried using Windows’ built-in Remote Desktop Connection (Desktop App), but it displays an error message saying

Remote Desktop can’t connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:…

I have tried connecting using the server name (which is how I normally connect) and via IP address.

Our work network has Remote Access installed on a member server. Staff can connect remotely only if they are members of a global security group named VPN and NPS has a policy defined that explicitly allows for this (the default NPS policies are disabled). The work network comprises 4 servers and 35 clients and uses a 192.168.0.xxx addressing range. It comprises a single Active Directory domain on a single 255.255.255.0 subnet. There are two domain controllers: 2012 R2 and 2008. Remote access connections to the network are routed via the gateway (a Draytek 2830) router using NAT.

I have an LMHOSTS file on my home PC that identifies the domain and which maps the name/address of our data server. When connected via VPN I am no longer able to connect to the data server using either its name or IP address via Windows Explorer (nothing happens when I try this, I don’t even see an error message).

I use Emsisoft Internet Security and have disabled the firewall (and all the components as well), but my PC is still unable to establish a Remote Desktop connection.

I have tried resetting TCP using my admin account but saw the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:UsersBlood>netsh int ip reset c:resetlog.txt
    Resetting Interface, OK!
    Resetting , failed.
    Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

But it did not help.

After restarting I enabled the Administrator account, logged on using the Administrator account and tried resetting TCP again but saw the same message and after restarting am still unable to establish a Remote Desktop connection. I have also tried restarting the work’s gateway router.

VPN connections are handled fine and IMAP connections to our data server that hosts our mail server software (Mercury/32) also work fine.

The only thing that has changed on my work network is that I have moved a wireless router from one part of the building to another.

I cannot see any error messages in the event logs on my home computer nor on the remote access server at work or the other servers I was trying to connect to.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

External Sharing and Guest User Access in Microsoft 365 and Teams

This eBook will dive into policy considerations you need to make when creating and managing guest user access to your Teams network, as well as the different layers of guest access and the common challenges that accompany a more complicated Microsoft 365 infrastructure.

You will learn:

• Who should be allowed to be invited as a guest?
  • What type of guests should be able to access files in SharePoint and OneDrive?
  • How should guests be offboarded?
  • How should you determine who has access to sensitive information in your environment?

Sponsored by: