Azure Backup – LRS to GRS

Home Forums Cloud Computing Microsoft Azure Azure Backup – LRS to GRS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Deland01

Can anyone help me before I go mad?

I have a bunch of production servers which were built as part of a proof of concept design by someone. They all have Azure backup enabled. The backups are configured to a Recovery Services Vault with LRS (for cost).

The service has now gone live and I need to urgently change the backup from LRS to GRS in case we have a disaster in the region where the servers are located. I need the backups out of region to recover from.

I understand that once the first backup is saved to the vault it disables the ability to change the vault to GRS.
    I have done the following:

01. Created another recovery vault as GRS in the same resource group within the same region.
    02. Stopped the backup on a test server (backing up to the LRS vault)
    03. Deleted the backup data from the vault on the test server, I now see a message advised that there is a 14 day (soft delete) period.
    04. I have tried to configure the backup on the test server to the new GRS recovery vault but its not available as a server to backup.

Is this because of the soft delete feature? will I need to wait 14 days before I can move the backup?
    If I do need to wait 14 days can anyone advise how I can move the backups to GRS without having no backup for 14 days?

Thanks

Pistle
    Participant

Data in an Azure Storage account is always replicated three times in the primary region. Azure Storage offers two options for how your data is replicated in the primary region:

Locally redundant storage (LRS) copies your data synchronously three times within a single physical location in the primary region. LRS is the least expensive replication option, but is not recommended for applications requiring high availability.
    Zone-redundant storage (ZRS) copies your data synchronously across three Azure availability zones in the primary region. For applications requiring high availability, Microsoft recommends using ZRS in the primary region, and also replicating to a secondary region.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.