Coming Soon: GET:IT Endpoint Management 1-Day Conference on September 28th at 9:30 AM ET Coming Soon: GET:IT Endpoint Management 1-Day Conference on September 28th at 9:30 AM ET

Advice request – migrate Server 2008 R2 domain controller to Server 2016

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2016 Advice request – migrate Server 2008 R2 domain controller to Server 2016

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Prachi

We are a small company with an old Dell server running Windows Server 2008 R2. We have ordered a replacement server and I am hoping to migrate the domain controller and DNS roles to a VM on the new machine. We can then wipe and upgrade this old machine and use it for something less critical – maybe a backup domain controller.

I am hoping someone can point me to a decent guide, or provide some general advice about path I should take or pitfalls to avoid.

I work as a developer and have a pretty high comfort level in Windows Server. But I have never moved a dc or dns to another machine.</p>

• This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Blood. Reason: Removed HTML
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Live Webinar: Active Directory Security: What Needs Immediate Priority!Live on Tuesday, October 12th at 1 PM ET

Attacks on Active Directory are at an all-time high. Companies that are not taking heed are being punished, both monetarily and with loss of production.

In this webinar, you will learn:

• How to prioritize vulnerability management
  • What attackers are leveraging to breach organizations
  • Where Active Directory security needs immediate attention
  • Overall strategy to secure your environment and keep it secured

Sponsored by: