ADMT – Join computer to domain before Security Translation?

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory ADMT – Join computer to domain before Security Translation?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    axplains

Hello everyone,

I have a (perhaps trivial) question, but I could not find a straightforward answer anywhere…

I am migrating a W2K3 domain to a new one, using ADMT 3.

Following the steps in the provided guide, I have arrived to this point:
    – migrated all global groups
    – migrated users
    Now it is the time to “translate local user profiles” with the “Security Translation Wizard” in ADMT.
    That is, select the “Computer objects” in order to translate their user profiles.

Problem is: the wizard asks to select computers FROM THE TARGET DOMAIN. They are not there obviously, they still belong to the source domain.

So my doubts are:
    – should I join the computers to the target domain before running the Security Translation?
    – Join them afterwards?
    – Or the operation will be made automatically by ADMT next step, “Computer Migration Wizard”?
    – Or simply log on the target domain with the migrated user profiles while the workstation is in the source domain?

It is not specified in ADMT users guide, so I don’t understand at what moment the workstations should join the target domain.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone willing to help.

Axplains

mikey32230
    Participant

where are all the replies to this question?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.