Adding AD to Server 2012 – Install-WindowsFeature

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 Adding AD to Server 2012 – Install-WindowsFeature

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    shadragon

Very annoying issue on an upgrade from 2008 R2 to W2012 on a DC. I was finally able to get DNS and DHCP installed, but AD is proving ridiculously hard.

When using either the Server Manager wizard or PS, I get the error:

The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    The operation cannot be completed, because the server that you specified requires a restart.

I have referenced MS, Technet and other forums and done the following suggested workarounds.

1) Rebooted numerous times.

2) Repaired the image using DISM (As you can see in the code below I did it just prior to installing AD.) This worked to get DNS and DHCP installed, but they only worked when logged on as local machine admin.

3) In Local Policies –> User Rights Assignment in the Log on as a service setting, I added NETWORK, NETWORK SERVICE and SERVICE as valid operators. It also says to add IIS_WPG, but there is no such account on the machine.

4) Domain Admin is in the Enterprise Admin security group and that is what I am logged in as when trying to install AD.

None of the above worked and I cannot find any other workarounds to try.

The command “Install-WindowsFeature AD-Domain-Services -IncludeManagementTools” results in the following.

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:UsersAdministrator.DOMAIN> DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Image Version: 6.3.9600.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired.
    The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:UsersAdministrator.DOMAIN> Install-WindowsFeature AD-Domain-Services -IncludeManagementTools
    Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    The operation cannot be completed, because the server that you specified requires a restart.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-WindowsFeature AD-Domain-Services -IncludeManagementTools
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : DeviceError: (@{Vhd=; Credent…Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature], Exce
    ption
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Failed_Reboot_Required,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindow
    sFeatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code Feature Result
    ——- ————– ——— ————–
    False No Failed {}[/CODE]

This is not an uncommon issue from the numbers of forum posts I have read.

Cheers

Shad[CODE]Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:UsersAdministrator.DOMAIN> DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Image Version: 6.3.9600.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired.
    The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:UsersAdministrator.DOMAIN> Install-WindowsFeature AD-Domain-Services -IncludeManagementTools
    Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-WindowsFeature AD-Domain-Services -IncludeManagementTools
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : DeviceError: (@{Vhd=; Credent…Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature], Exce
    ption
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Failed_Reboot_Required,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindow
    sFeatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code Feature Result

False No Failed {}[/CODE]

This is not an uncommon issue from the numbers of forum posts I have read.

Cheers

Shad

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.