Adding a 2003 server to a 2000 Domain, with a twist…

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 Adding a 2003 server to a 2000 Domain, with a twist…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ddenton

I have an existing 2000 server domain that I’d like to add a new 2003 server to. This new server is running Small Business 2003. Upon getting the server from Dell, the server setup wizard proceeded to walk me through the setup of Active Directory, and I gave it the existing domain information, hoping it would just add the server to the existing domain as a member server, but it appears it’s now set up as a DC. The DNS server is also up and running, but no clients are using it.

Now, I haven’t run any of the ADprep stuff on the 2000 server yet, and I intend to, but here comes the twist. Since this new server is behaving like a DC in an existing domain, but nothing’s replicating, what happens when I run dcpromo on it? Will it demote it, and will I have to run DC promo again to begin replication? Once I run ADprep on the 2000 server will replication begin, without me having to to dcpromo on the 2003 server? Any help is greaty appreciated…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.