Access and setup Windows Server 2003

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Access and setup Windows Server 2003

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    garyward22

Hi Guys

Need some help as I am helping a friend. Basically very small business I x Win server 2003 and four PC’s. I was asked to upgrade 2 PC’s from XP to Win 7 – all good. When they were XP they connected to the server automatically – never had to login etc – never considered how they actually connected. After the upgrade to Win 7 I looked in Network could see the server but cant connect (says contact administrator – we don’t have one). So my questions are

1 – I do have the username and PW for the server but thats about it!
    2 – How do I connect to administer the server from a PC on the network?
    3 – I assume I have to set up a username and password for the 2 x new Win 7 pc’s?
    4 – Access for the 2 x new PC’s is for the whole drive – its basically a document store but need read/write access.
    5 – All the computers are in the same workgroup – if that helps
    6 – All the PC’s are connected via ethernet.
    7 – I did look at the other PC’s (One is already using Windows 7) but couldn’t figure out what to do!
    8 – Network printers work fine and everybody can print.
    9 – All the PC’s can see one another
    10 – The Windows Server has no monitor on so need to manage/access from another PC on the network.

Fortunately for me, I did actually keep XP on the newly created Win 7 Pc’s making them dual boot so those people will be able to work in the morning – I did the upgrades over the weekend. I really dont need anything sophisticated in terms of security – dont even need passwords but guess Server 2003 wont allow it. Some simple steps to resolve this would be much appreciated. Like always – when you know its probably quite straightforward!!

Many thanks and apologies for the length of the post – just tried to give all the info I have.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.