2008 R2 will need new CALS?!?!?

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 2008 R2 will need new CALS?!?!?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    vseven

I was talking to my CDW rep earlier today and mentioned I was planing on getting 2008 R2 once it comes out but was going to buy my CALs before then (for budget reasons…to get them into the 3rd quarter). He told me not to, he said wait until R2 comes out because he heard form his software guys that Microsoft may be making 2008 and 2008 R2 CALs different, so you can’t just have 2008 CAL’s and use them on R2. So I jumped on the web to find more info, came up with nothing.

I then went to Microsoft’s site and clicked the little “Chat Now” button and got a MS rep. I asked the rep if Server 2008 cals I buy now will be applicable to Server 2008 R2. The rep said NO, 2008 and 2008 R2 have a different server core and therefor are considered different versions so you have to buy all new CALs for R2.

Anyone else hear about this? For those that have Server 2008 now and want to upgrade this is a huge deal.

-Allan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.