2008 R2 File Server Permissions Issue

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 2008 R2 File Server Permissions Issue

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ScatterBrain

I’ve got a Windows 2008 R2 server acting as a file server. I have one share where Excel and Word files are acting oddly. Let me explain:

A Word/Excel file exists in a folder. The folder was created, then the NTFS permissions were set to give “domain users” full control of the every sub-folder and file in that folder, I then shared that folder, giving the same “full control” to domain users.

User A opens the file, makes some changes, saves and then closes the file. Sometime later, User B opens the same file makes more changes and then tries to save it, but is prevented from doing so. User B is told that the file is “read-only”.

User A can re-open the file and make as the change and can save it. Only choice that User B has is to save the file as a different name. Then User B can delete the original file and rename the new file to the original name.

As of right now it appears to ONLY be affecting Word and Excel files – pictures, txt files, AutoCAD drawings, and other file types seem to be unaffected.

A bit more detail: This server was close to being full on disk space a few weeks ago. I added another drive to the machine and moved the files in this share to the new drive and re-shared the folder. Ever since then the problem has existed. Nothing special about the permissions – I want everyone to have full control. I’m fairly certain that I duplicated the permissions – both NTFS and Share – properly.

Anyone help?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.