Display Phantom Drivers in Windows 2000/XP/2003
How can I display hidden (phantom) drivers in Windows 2000/XP/2003?
There are times when you’ll need to manually remove old, obsolete, hidden (phantom) drivers from your system. Looking in Device Manager does not show all the installed drivers, just the ones that are configurable by the GUI.
To force your system to display these old and hidden drivers you’ll need to follow these steps:
Note: Credits to this tip go to Amir Meron, John Bryce.
- Go to Control Panel and double click on System. You can also right-click My Computer (if the icon is shown on the desktop) and choose Properties.
Note: A faster way for opening up the System applet is to press the Windows logo key ÿ on your keyboard and then press Pause/Break at the same time.
- Go to the Advanced tab and click Environment Variables.
- In the System Variables section click on the New button.
- In the New System Variable dialog box, under the Variable Name value enter devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices (just copy the value from here and paste it there) and give it a variable value of 1.
- In the Environment Variables window notice how the new variable appeared in the System Variables section. Click Ok.
- In the System Properties window click Ok.
- Log off and log on.
- Open Device Manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager).
- From the View menu click Show Hidden Devices and notice the change.
You can perform the same task by using the registry (or even create a logon script that will add the following key to the registry):
- Open Registry Editor.
- In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
- Create the following value (DWORD):
and give it a value of 1.
Note: As always, before making changes to your registry you should always make sure you have a valid backup. In cases where you’re supposed to delete or modify keys or values from the registry it is possible to first export that key or value(s) to a .REG file before performing the changes.
- Close Registry Editor and reboot.
You might also want to read the following related articles:
- Add Administrative Tools Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Command Prompt Here Shortcut to Windows Explorer
- Add Scanners and Cameras Icon to the Desktop in XP Pro
- Add Scheduled Tasks Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Spell Checking to Internet Explorer
- Change or Add OEM Logo and Information
- Customize a New XP Installation
- Customize Command Prompt in Windows XP/2000/2003
- Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
- Delete the Recycle Bin Icon from the Desktop in XP/2003
- Disable Shared Documents Folder in Windows XP
- Extract Specific Tools from Adminpak.msi
- Microsoft Powertoys Suit
- Quickly Search Active Directory from the Desktop
- Quickly Share Folders from Desktop
- Remove the Manage My Computer Context Menu from My Computer in 2000/XP/2003
- Restore Classic Search in Windows XP
- Send To Notepad Shortcut
- Shell Enhancements and other Tweaks for Windows XP/2000/2003
- Unhide Recycle Bin when Dragging and Dropping Files