Delete the Recycle Bin Icon from the Desktop in XP/2003
How can I delete the Recycle Bin icon from the desktop in Windows XP/2003?
To delete the Recycle Bin icon from the Windows XP/2003 desktop follow these steps:
- Open Registry Editor.
- In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
Read the Best Personal and Business Tech without Ads
Staying updated on what is happening in the technology sector is important to your career and your personal life but ads can make reading news, distracting. With Thurrott Premium, you can enjoy the best coverage in tech without the annoying ads.
- Find the following key:
- Delete the above key.
Note: As always, before making changes to your registry you should always make sure you have a valid backup. In cases where you‘re supposed to delete or modify keys or values from the registry it is possible to first export that key or value(s) to a .REG file before performing the changes.
- Close Registry Editor.
There is no need to reboot. Just wait a few seconds and see how the icon disappears from the desktop.
- In order to restore the Recycle Bin icon to the desktop just re-create the missing key (or import it back to the registry in case you‘ve exported it earlier).
In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
- Create the following key:
(just copy/paste, including the brackets).
You might also want to read the following related articles:
- Add Administrative Tools Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Command Prompt Here Shortcut to Windows Explorer
- Add Printers and Fax Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Scanners and Cameras Icon to the Desktop in XP Pro
- Add Scheduled Tasks Icon to the Desktop in XP/2003
- Add Spell Checking to Internet Explorer
- Change or Add OEM Logo and Information
- Customize a New XP Installation
- Customize Command Prompt in Windows XP/2000/2003
- Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
- Disable Shared Documents Folder in Windows XP
- Microsoft Powertoys Suit
- Quickly Search Active Directory from the Desktop
- Quickly Share Folders from Desktop
- Restore Classic Search in Windows XP
- Send To Notepad Shortcut
- Shell Enhancements and other Tweaks for Windows XP/2000/2003
- Unhide Recycle Bin when Dragging and Dropping Files