Configure Web Access to Newsgroups Hosted on Exchange 2000/2003
In Exchange 2000/2003, how can I configure web access to some of the newsgroups that are hosted on the server?
If you’re running a newsgroup feed from a live NNTP server (see Configure a Newsgroup Feed From a NNTP Server), or if you’re running your own newsgroup hierarchy, you might want to configure alternate access to these folders by use of a web browser.
- To do so open the Exchange System Manager console.
- Drill down to your server’s name and open the Protocols container.
- Open the HTTP container, double-click the Default HTTP Virtual Server.
- Right-click the Exchange Virtual Directory sub-container and choose New > Virtual Directory.
- Give the new Virtual Directory a name. You can use any name, but this will be the directory’s alias, so make it an easy one.
- In the Exchange Path select the Public Folder radio box.
- Click Modify. In the Public Folder selection window select the folder you want to make visible.
Note: I used the MCT private newsgroups demonstrated in the Configure a Newsgroup Feed From a NNTP Server page, but as stated before, you won’t be able to use the same folders because these groups are password restricted. Use your own folders, the ones you’ve downloaded from your ISP News server.
- Click Ok.
- In the Access tab you can change the Authentication level required. I used the default, which has the Anonymous authentication disabled.
- Click Ok when you’re done.
Now you can see the new Virtual Directory in the listing. If you try to browse it you’ll get an error. This is ok because it can take a few moments until the AD2MB (Active Directory to Metabase) service synchronizes the E2K settings to the IIS Metabase.
Wait a few moments and try again. You will be then be able to access the newsgroup hierarchy by using a web browser.
This article contains instructions on how to download from newsgroups
More in Exchange Server
Kaspersky Discloses New 'SessionManager' Backdoor Targetting Microsoft Exchange Servers
Jul 1, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Microsoft Postpones the Release of Next Version of Exchange Server Until 2025
Jun 3, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: Get-AdvancedThreatProtectionDocumentReport and Get-AdvancedThreatProtectionDocumentDetail to be retired
May 24, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Microsoft Defender for Office 365: Updates to URL Protection Report
May 24, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: Safe Links Global Settings Migrated to Custom Policies
May 20, 2022 | Petri Staff
Microsoft to Ship Some Exchange Server Security Updates in .EXE Packages
May 11, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Most popular on petri