M365 Changelog: Changes coming to the default new Yammer setting
We are pleased to announce the next phase of the new Yammer experience. In September 2020 (MC222345), we released an opt-in toggle for new Yammer for all users.
With this upcoming change, admins that have chosen the Enable the new Yammer as opt-in setting will have the new Yammer experience set as the default for all Yammer users. If your tenant is already in new Yammer as default or Enable the new Yammer for all users with no opt-out option, nothing will change for you or your users.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 70689
- Timing: mid-April
- Roll-out: tenant level
- Control type: user control and admin control
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization
In tenants that have chosen the Enable the new Yammer as an opt-in setting, users will now migrate to the new Yammer experience by default. They will be welcomed to the new experience the next time they access Yammer on the web. By default, users will see a toggle to opt out of the new Yammer if they want to return to the classic experience.
What you need to do to prepare
Review the changes and assess the impact on your organization. You can use a trial tenant to test the experience without changing your existing Yammer network.
Global Admins and Yammer Verified Network admins of current networks can control how their organization rolls out the new Yammer experience under the ‘New Yammer’ tab in Yammer Admin settings.
Choose between these options:
- Enable the new Yammer for all users with an opt-out option (default)
- Enable the new Yammer for all users with no opt-out option
You can move back and forth between these settings at any time. The existing Enable the new Yammer opt-in option will be removed from the Yammer Admin Settings.
You might consider updating your training and documentation as well as sending out change communications within your organization as appropriate.
Since the last phase of the Yammer roll-out, we’ve added this functionality based on your feedback:
- Diverse reactions
- Enhanced community insights
- Question and answer insights
- Ability to “mute” communities at admin and user levels.
- Advanced eDiscovery: supporting linked content from OneDrive and SharePoint Online (modern attachments)
- Admin capability to turn off live events commenting and Q&A.
- New immersive experience for live events.
- Optional 10-year audit log retention add-on
- Azure AD B2B guest support in Yammer (Public Preview)
More in Yammer
M365 Changelog: Yammer iOS and Android apps - Navigation Updates
Jan 24, 2023 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: (Updated) General Availability of Viva Topics for Yammer
Jan 5, 2023 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: Reminder: Private Unlisted Groups Deprecated in Yammer - 1 Day Warning
Nov 30, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: Reminder - Private Unlisted Groups in Yammer retirement in 7 Days
Nov 24, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: Multiple Yammer Networks Within Single Tenant No Longer Supported (1:Many Mode)
Oct 31, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: Stories available for public preview in Yammer and Microsoft Viva Engage beginning early November
Oct 28, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Most popular on petri